Rorate Caeli

Cardinal O'Brien's last statement

3 March 2013
Statement from Cardinal O'Brien

In recent days certain allegations which have been made against me have become public. Initially, their anonymous and non-specific nature led me to contest them.

However, I wish to take this opportunity to admit that there have been times that my sexual conduct has fallen below the standards expected of me as a priest, archbishop and cardinal.

To those I have offended, I apologise and ask forgiveness.

To the Catholic Church and people of Scotland, I also apologise.

I will now spend the rest of my life in retirement. I will play no further part in the public life of the Catholic Church in Scotland.

Notes to editors:

1. This is the only statement, which Cardinal O'Brien will be issuing.
2. Cardinal O'Brien will not attend the Conclave to elect the new Pope.
3. Cardinal O'Brien is now out of the country and will not be available
for interview. [Source: Scottish Catholic Media Office]

Cardinal O'Brien was named Archbishop of St. Andrews and Edinburgh by Pope John Paul II in 1985.