Rorate Caeli
Announcement: Rorate Caeli to begin New Purgatorial Society


Last week, my aunt lost her battle with cancer, and went to her eternal reward. When I received the sudden news, I prayed to Our Lady that her reward be Heaven, and then I quickly took to Twitter and Facebook to ask friends and family to pray for the repose of her soul.

When I was finished, I thought about how difficult it is to get people to pray for deceased loved ones, especially in today's society when even most Catholics wrongly believe everyone outside of murderers and rapists are automatically going to Heaven and thus are not in need of prayers. And I thought how wonderful it would be if there was a Purgatorial Society to turn to -- a free one as well.

I am now happy to announce the official launch of the Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society!

This is where traditionals get to show we're traditional by more than just driving a couple of hours to the closest TLM -- we get to prove our traditional chops the old-fashioned way, by praying for others.

For those who want prayers for their loved ones, some ground rules: 1.) the person must have died within the last month [see below for update]; 2.) Send notice of recent deaths to me directly at my contact info on my profile page, not other contributors to this site, as I am taking on this duty; 3.) Send the info as text in an email as follows: the subject line should read "Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society" and the body of the email should simply be the first and last name of the deceased and the state and country of origin of the deceased. Example:

Jane Doe, Maryland, United States

Having everyone submit them in this fashion will save me a lot of formatting time. And feel free to add as many names from the last month as you wish.

Each week, most likely every Friday, I will post the entire list I received that week. Then, all our readers will have to do is simply pray for the entire list, asking Our Lord to grant eternal rest and perpetual light on "all the souls in the Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society."

While I will only post the list for the week, all the souls from the weeks before will forever be members of the Society, and will therefore reap the benefits of the prayers as long as we continue this effort.

Please feel free to start sending me your names now. And everyone please consider praying for the deceased -- one of the selfless spiritual works of mercy that truly make traditional Catholics traditional.

UPDATE: The response to the announcement of this Society has already been strong. I will post the first list of names this Friday. If you have emailed me, rest assured, those names will be added to the list -- I just can't respond affirmatively to all emails. Also, there will not be a listserve function to this -- you have to check this site each Friday for the list. I have also been asked that, just for this first posting of names, that loved ones who died in the last year be allowed, and I have agreed. So please feel free to send me names, properly formatted, of all your loved ones who passed over the last year. If you want to go back throughout time, just say the family name, eg: "The Jones family." Last, if you are a priest and would like to offer a weekly, monthly or even just one Traditional Latin Mass for the souls of this Society, please email me at cpaulitz@yahoo.com.

And please remember to follow @RorateCaeli on Twitter.

35 comments:

Mr. Ortiz said...

Excellent! Thank you for doing this.

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

Our pleasure. I would especially like to thank New Catholic and the other contributors for allowing me to take this on.

Anonymous said...

What an absolutely excellent idea!

Cruise the Groove.

Brian said...

Lovely idea.

Since this is a new Society, and was not available before, would you please consider a one-time-only allowance for loved ones who died within the past year?

Maura said...

Fantastic idea! How about asking a priest to have a mass specifically for the society once a week? I guess that would require a stipend though.

Thank you for this opportunity to play a greater part of the Church Militant with our Church Suffering. I check your site daily. What we must remember is that those in purgatory are bound to pray for us if we pray for them. It is a win-win!

Andrea said...

Brilliant idea!

Anonymous said...

It would also be a great occasion to promote vow of souls, what do you think?

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea. Thank you. On an unrelated note, is anyone aware of how I might email the authors of this blog? I can't seem to find any way of getting in contact with them. An injustice has occurred regarding the cancelation of a major TLM in San Jose, CA. I think the story would be of some interest, Thank you.

frandy16 said...

Thank you for organizing a Purgatorial Society! May God bless you more!

Carlos Antonio Palad said...

"On an unrelated note, is anyone aware of how I might email the authors of this blog?"

You can send the story to me:

caloyraj AT yahoo DOT com

Carlos Antonio Palad said...

"It would also be a great occasion to promote vow of souls, what do you think?"

Are you referring to the Heroic Act for the Poor Souls?

Carlos Antonio Palad said...

"An injustice has occurred regarding the cancelation of a major TLM in San Jose, CA"

That can only be the Sunday TLM in Five Wounds Portuguese Church. Am I correct?

Anonymous said...

Very, very good idea!

I'm sorry for your aunt, but be assured of my prayers fo rher and those who are left behind on planet earth. If this Society is one of the fruits of her death, then that is already great!

GB,

InfansMariae

cagayano said...

wher will i send the names of the deaceased members of my family?

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

Brian, yes, that exception can be made. Feel free to send the past year. Just make sure to format properly so that I can just cut and paste. Chris

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

UPDATE: The response to the announcement of this Society has already been strong. I will post the first list of names this Friday. If you have emailed me, rest assured, those names will be added to the list -- I just can't respond affirmatively to all emails. Also, there will not be a listserve function to this -- you have to check this site each Friday for the list. I have also been asked that, just for this first posting of names, that loved ones who died in the last year be allowed, and I have agreed. So please feel free to send me names, properly formatted, of all your loved ones who passed over the last year. If you want to go back throughout time, just say the family name, eg: "The Jones family." Last, if anyone knows of a priest willing to say a Traditional Latin Mass once a week or even once a month for the Society, please contact me, and I will pay the stipend.

michae bede addison said...

Please pray for the rpose of the:Soul of Margaret Addison (Jarrow) whose aniversary occurs at this time!

Thanks,

Michael.

Anonymous said...

"That can only be the Sunday TLM in Five Wounds Portuguese Church. Am I correct?"

Yes, you are correct. Our bishop has canceled the Mass, and has forbidden the TLM it at Five Wounds Church, even though it had the support of the pastor and a stable group of almost 200 people every Sunday for over a year. I have emailed you the story.

KnotWilbur said...

This is a wonderful idea. Would you mind if I shared this with a friend or two?

Pablo said...

God be with you on your journey of spiritual warfare.

I will include you and your loved ones in my Saint Michael prayers, that the Holy Angels provide for you when the beast comes calling because of your efforts.

With the assurance of my Holy Rosary prayers for all your good work in the vineyard of the Divine Master, I remain yours truly in Jesus and Mary Immaculate.

*

Anonymous said...

Where does one go to post the names? This is a great idea.

ghp said...

Anonymous [re San Jose TLM],

So our only recourse is the tiny Our Mother of Pepetual Help Oratory ... that seats about 60 people?

Please send me details at ghp95134(at)yahoo(dot)com.

Thanks

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

KnotWilbur, please share this far and wide!

Anon, read the whole post on how to send in names.

You can send them to me at cpaulitz@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea!!!
I offer Masses and pray continuously for the Holy Souls in Purgatory and all the souls of my loved ones.

I encourage everyone who comes to this site to remember to say daily prayers for those in Purgartory.

Thank you and God Bless!

Charlotte said...

A vintage pamphlet explaining the Purgatorial Society:

http://cheekypinkgirl.blogspot.com/2010/09/purgatorial-society-cecilias-stash.html

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear about this. My wife and I were looking for some way for our souls be prayed for after we pass some day. To depend upon our children who do not take their faith seriously is a mistake.Maybe we can convince them to at least add our names to this site. We are also members of the Confraternity of the Holy Rosary which says the rosary for those members living and deceased.

Prof. Basto said...

I warmly applaud this intitiative.

Prayers promised.

May God bless the Rorate Caeli Purgatorial Society.

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful idea. I've figured out how to submit a name, but not where the names will be posted for us to see and pray for. Thank you for this.

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

Anon, the names will all be posted en mass on Friday. Just check back to see your names on the list.

If you don't get a chance to get in front of the computer, simply say a prayer for all the souls enrolled in the Society and for the Society itself.

Jay said...

Have you ever heard about Redemptorist's on Papa Stronsay and their Purgatorian Archconfraternity?

Christopher J. Paulitz said...

Yes -- but it's not free.

Anonymous said...

"Are you referring to the Heroic Act for the Poor Souls?"

Yes, but as I'm a spanish speaker, I tried a probable translation of what we call voto de ánimas, which is, I believe, the best way to use the satisfactory value of our works. Francisco

Anonymous said...

"The Maccabean Society"

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=602325942#!/group.php?gid=122985491053745&ref=mf

"It is therefore a holy and wholesome thought to pray for the dead, that they may be loosed from sins." 2 Machabees 12:46

"A Society whose members have each pledged to contribute to a Gregorian set of Masses said in the Extraordinary Form for any member who dies. In this way, we all contribute to the spiritual insurance of every other member.

Members would, by nature, be Catholics faithfully committed to the pledge they have taken. The best vehicle it seems is the tradition of Gregorian sets of Masses. Depending on our number, a great number of Masses might be said for any one member.

A Mass shall be said every year for the members of the society, and it is hoped that every member keep us in their prayers.


Priestly members ought to consider themselves recipients of the benefits of the society. Given their distinct status and capability, it is fitting that they would pledge to say a Mass for the deceased member in question rather than contributing to the Gregorian Mass fund.

LeonG said...

You can add my intentions to your list. I won't send names but Our Blessed Lord will know who is intended.

t8 said...

'Write to be understood, speak to be heard, read to grow.' -Lawrence Clark Powell-