Rorate Caeli

Williamson: "If I find I was wrong, I will apologize"
Swedish network warned beforehand

In declarations to German weekly Der Spiegel, Bishop Richard Williamson, of the Priestly Fraternity of Saint Pius X (FSSPX / SSPX), claims he will apologize if he finds out he was wrong. As reported by Reuters:

Asked why he had not apologized for his comments, Williamson told Germany's Spiegel magazine: "If I should discover that I have been at fault, then I will do so."

...

"I ask everyone to believe me that I did not deliberately say something false. I was, on the basis of my research in the 1980s, convinced of the accuracy of my comments," he told the weekly in an interview released on Saturday.

"Now I must examine everything again and look at the evidence," he added.

British-born Williamson apologized to the pope late last month for the "unnecessary distress and problems" he caused him. But he did not recant or take back the Holocaust comments, which he called "imprudent."

Meanwhile, Kreuz.net reports that Williamson's lawyers contacted the Swedish broadcaster SVT before the interview was made public. Chris Gillibrand, of Catholic Church Conservation:

The General Superior of the Fraternity, Bishop Bernard Fellay, sent a fax before the broadcast to the television:

"It is shameful, to use an interview about religious issues to discuss secular and controversial issues, with the obvious intention of the work of our religious society disfiguring and slander."

Bishop Williamson also had sent a letter to the television station before the broadcast.

His lawyer said: "We call on you not to publish in whole or in any Part, the interview on the Internet or otherwise ."