Rorate Caeli

Fryderyk Chopin: "His Edifying Death" by Don Pietro Leone


Chopin’s conversion  

October 13th  1849   

The Feast of St. Edward the Confessor


Portrait of Frydeyrk Chopin

by

Eugène Delacroix. 


In a recent biography of Fryderyk Chopin, remarkable for its wealth of details about his life - charming, humorous, and tragic alike; remarkable too for its learned musicology, setting many of his works in the context of the artist's life - the author makes light of the attempts of a childhood priest friend to re-awaken in Chopin's heart the Faith which he had all but lost in the louche Parisian Society which he frequented. Any-one who understands the meaning of eternal life, eternal death, and the value of the immortal soul; and who moreover loves the works of Fryderyk Chopin and consequently also the man himself, will be saddened at the author's attitude and perhaps even doubt of the great man's salvation.

 

 

How could a soul of such extraordinary elevation, nobility, refinement, and sensibility- one might ask - be blinded at last to the Highest Truth, the Highest Good, and the Highest Beauty? Was this not a friend of God through whom God spoke to millions of His sons and daughters to reveal something of His own Beauty to console them, to elevate their hearts and minds, and to inspire them with the noblest and finest of sentiments? 

 

 

We here present a translation in English of the little-known account, to a Polish Countess, of the priest who assisted him in his final days to see for ourselves how his life ended. We append the Polish original at the end for Polish-speakers and thank those who helped with the translation.

 

Father Aleksander Jelowicki (1873) the author of this account



J.M.J.

Praised be Jesus Christ!

Dear Lady!

Still under the impression of Chopin's death, I am writing you a word about it. He died on October 17, 1849 at two o'clock in the morning.

 

For many years, Chopin's life had been as it were hanging on by a mere thread.

 

His body, which had always been insipid and weak, was now more and more consumed by the fire of his genius. Every-one was surprised that in such a devastated body, the soul was still alive and that the man had lost neither his sharpness of mind nor warmth of heart. His face was cold as alabaster, white and transparent; his eyes, usually covered with mist, sparkled from time to time with the splendour of his gaze. Always sweet and kind, warm with wit and tender beyond measure, he seemed almost to belong no more to this earth.

 

But unfortunately his thoughts were far from Heaven. He had few good friends and many bad ones, that is to say, without the faith: these especially counted amongst his worshippers. Moreover the triumphs which he had won by the exercise of his most insightful art had drowned out in his heart the unspeakable groaning of the Holy Spirit. What was left of the piety that he had sucked from his Polish mother's womb was by now little more than a family memory; whilst the impiety of the companions of his latter years had penetrated more and more into his grasping mind and doubt had settled on his soul at last like a leaden cloud. Indeed it was only by virtue of his refined decency that he did not laugh out loud at holy things, and did not as yet presume to mock them.

 

In such a deplorable state as this was he seized by a fatal disease of the chest. The news of this reached me, already pallid at the thought of his approaching death, as I returned to Paris from Rome. I immediately ran to this childhood friend of mine, whose soul was all the more dear to me for that. We embraced each other, and our mutual tears showed that he was already nearing the end. He was visibly weary and dying; and he wept - yet not for himself, but rather for me - over the murderous death of my brother Edward, whom he also loved.

 

I took advantage of the tenderness of his heart to remind him of his Mother, and with her memory to re-awaken in him the faith that she had taught him. “Ah, I understand you, he said to me, I would not like to die without the Sacraments, lest I grieve my beloved Mother; but I cannot accept them, because I no longer understand them in your way. I would still understand the sweetness of confession that comes from confiding in a friend; but confession as a Sacrament I do not understand at all. If you want, I will confess to you for the sake of your friendship, but not otherwise.” At these and similar words from Chopin, my heart contracted within me and I wept.

 

I felt compassion for that kind soul. I tried to soften him with what I could: now with the thought of the Blessed Virgin, now with the Lord Jesus, now with the tenderest images of God's mercy - but nothing availed. I offered to bring him any Confessor that he wished. But finally he told me: "If I ever want to confess, it will be with you." That was what I feared the most after all that he had told me.

 

Long months passed during which I visited him frequently, but with no further result; however, I prayed with confidence that this soul would not perish. All the Resurrectionists prayed for this, especially during the retreat. Then finally on the evening of the 12th. of the month, Dr. Cruveiller summoned me, telling me to come as soon as possible but saying that he could not guarantee anything. Trembling with emotion, I stood at Chopin's door, closed to me for the first time. After a while, however, he bade me let myself in, though only to press my hand and to say: "I love you very much but don't say a word. Go to bed."

 

Imagine, if you can, what a night I spent! The next day was the Feast of St. Edward, patron of my beloved brother. Offering a holy Mass for his soul, I spoke to God in this way: O God, have mercy! If my brother Edward's soul is dear to you, give me the soul of Fryderyk to-day!

 

And so with redoubled concern I went to Chopin. I found him at breakfast, and when he had invited me to join him, I said to him: "My dear friend, to-day is my brother Edward's name-day." Chopin sighed, and I continued: "On my brother's day, give me a gift for his name-day." "I'll give you anything you want", replied Chopin, and I replied: "Give me your soul!" "I understand you, take it!" replied Chopin and sat down on the bed.

 

Then an unspeakable joy, but also fear, seized me. How can I take this dear soul and give it to God? I fell to my knees, and in my heart I cried out to the Lord: "Take it Thyself!" And I handed Chopin the Crucified Lord Jesus, placing Him silently in his two hands. And tears welled up from both his eyes.

 

"Do you believe?" I asked. He replied: "I believe." "As your mother taught you?" He replied: "As my mother taught me!" And staring at the Crucified Lord Jesus, in a stream of tears he made a holy Confession. And he immediately received the Viaticum and the Last Anointing, which he himself asked for. After a while he told me to give the sacristan twenty times what is usually given, and I said, "That is too much." "Not too much," he answered, "because what I have accepted is beyond all cost." And from that moment, transformed by God's grace, indeed, by God Himself, he became like a different man, I would say already a saint.

 

The same day Chopin's agony began, which lasted four days and nights. Patience, trust in God, and often joy accompanied him until his dying breath. In the midst of the greatest pains, he expressed his happiness and thanked God, crying out his love for Him and the desire to join Him as soon as was possible. He announced his happiness to his friends, who had come to bid him farewell and were keeping vigil in the side-rooms. He was breathing no more, and it seemed that he was dying: even the groaning had ceased and consciousness was gone. Every-one was alarmed and crowded into the room, waiting with beating heart for the last moment. Then Chopin, opening his eyes and seeing the crowd of people, asked: 'What are they doing here? Why don't they pray?" And they all fell to their knees with me, and I said the Litany of the Saints, to which even the Protestants responded.

 

Day and night he held me almost constantly by both hands, not wanting to let go of me, and saying: "You will not leave me at this decisive moment." He clung to me as a child in times of danger clings to his mother. And every moment he cried out: "Jesus, Mary!" and kissed the Cross with the delight of faith, hope and with great love. Sometimes he spoke to those present, saying with the greatest tenderness: “I love God and man!... It is good for me to die like this... My beloved sister, don't cry. Don't cry, my friends. I am happy! I feel as if I am dying. Pray for me! We will meet again in Heaven."

 

Again and again he would say to the doctors trying to keep him alive: "Let me go, let me die. God has already forgiven me, He is calling me to himself! Let me go; I want to die!” And again: “Oh, what beautiful skill you have in prolonging suffering! - if only it was for some good thing, for some sacrifice! - but it is only to torment me and those who love me - what a beautiful skill this is! But you inflict severe suffering on me in vain: you may have made a mistake, but God was not wrong. He is purifying me. O how good God is to punish me in this world! Oh, how good is God!”

 

At the end, wanting to express to me all his gratitude, and also the misfortune of those who die without the Sacraments, he, although always exquisite in his speech, did not hesitate to say: "Without you, my dear, I would have died like a pig!"

 

In his agony, he repeated the Sweetest Names: Jesus, Mary, Joseph, pressed the cross to his lips and his heart, and with his last breath pronounced these words: "I am already at the source of happiness!" And so he died.

 

This is how Chopin died! Pray for him that he may live forever.

Your humble servant in Christ

Z. A. Jełowicki.

 

POSTSCRIPTUM

Before appending the Polish original, we offer to the reader a Chopin piece played by Vladimir Horowitz - not the Mazurka supposed to be his last work – but an  allegro  waltz-like Nocturne. Well do we remember the matinee performance of Horowitz (whom we view as Chopin's greatest exponent) at La Scala Milan for one of his last concerts after a prolonged period of withdrawal from the public. 

 




 

 Don Pietro Leone

 

 

For our Polish readers – the original text

 

 

 I. M. J.

 Niech będzie pochwalony Jezus Chrystus.

 Przezacna Pani!

Jeszcze pod wrażeniem śmierci Chopina piszę o niej słowo. Umarł 17 października 1849 roku o godzinie drugiej z rana.

 

Od lat mnogich życie Chopina było jak na włosku.

 

Ciało jego, zawsze mdłe i słabe, coraz bardziej się wytrawiało od ognia jego geniuszu. Wszyscy się dziwili, że w tak wyniszczonym ciele dusza jeszcze mieszka i nie traci na bystrości rozumu i gorącości serca. Twarz jego jak alabaster zimną była, białą i przejrzystą; a oczy jego, zwykle mgłą przykryte, iskrzyły się niekiedy blaskami wejrzenia. Zawsze słodki i miły, i dowcipem wrzący, a czuły nad miarę, zdawał się już mało należeć do ziemi. Ale niestety, o Niebie nie myślał. Miał on niewiele dobrych przyjaciół, a złych, tj. bez wiary, bardzo wielu; ci zwłaszcza byli jego czcicielami. A triumfy jego w sztuce najwnikliwszej zagłuszyły mu w sercu Ducha Św. jęki niewypowiedziane. Pobożność, którą z łona matki Polki był wyssał, była mu już tylko rodzinnym wspomnieniem. A bezbożność towarzyszów i towarzyszek jego lat ostatnich wsiąkała coraz bardziej w chwytny umysł jego i na duszy jego jak chmurą ołowianą osiadła zwątpieniem. I tylko już mocą wykwintnej przyzwoitości jego się stawało, że się nie naśmiewał głośno z rzeczy świętych, że jeszcze nie szydził.

 

W takim to opłakanym stanie schwyciła go śmiertelna piersiowa choroba. Wieść o tym, blada zbliżającą się śmiercią Chopina, spotkała mię więc przy powrocie moim z Rzymu do Paryża. Wnet po biegłem do tego od lat dziecinnych przyjaciela mego, którego dusza tym droższa mi była. Uścisnęliśmy się wzajem, a, wzajemne łzy nasze wskazały nam, że już ostatkami gonił. Nędzniał i gasł widocznie; a jednak nie nad sobą, ale nade mną raczej zapłakał użalając się morderczej śmierci brata mego Edwarda, którego też kochał. Skorzystałem z tej tkliwości jego, aby mu przypomnieć Matkę... i jej wspomnieniem rozbudzić w nim wiarę, której go była nauczyła. „Ach, rozumie cię, rzekł mi, nie chciałbym umrzeć bez Sakramentów, aby nie zasmucić Matki mej ukochanej; ale ich przyjąć nie mogę, bo już ich nie rozumiem po twojemu. Pojąłbym jeszcze słodycz spowiedzi płynącą ze zwierzenia się przyjacielowi; ale spowiedzi jako Sakramentu zgoła nie pojmuję. Jeżeli chcesz, to dla twej przyjaźni wyspowiadam się u ciebie, ale inaczej to nie.” Na te i tym podobne słowa Chopina ścisnęło mi się serce i zapłakałem. Żal mi było, żal mi tej miłej duszy. Upieszczałem ją, czym mogłem, już to Najświętszą Panną, już Panem Jezusem, już najtkliwszymi obrazami miłosierdzia Bożego. Nic nie pomagało. Ofiarowałem się przyprowadzić mu, jakiego zechce, spowiednika. A on mi w końcu powiedział: „Jeśli kiedy zechcę się wyspowiadać, to pewno u Ciebie.” Tego się właśnie po tym wszystkim, co mi powiedział, najbardziej lękałem.

 

Upłynęły długie miesiące w częstych odwiedzinach moich, ale bez innego skutku. Modliłem się wszakże z ufnością, że nie zaginie ta dusza. Modliliśmy się o to wszyscy zmartwychwstańcy, zwłaszcza czasu rekolekcji. Aż oto 12 bm. wieczorem przyzywa mię co prędzej doktor Cruveiller mówiąc, że za nic nie ręczy. Drżący od wzruszenia stanąłem u drzwi Chopina, które po raz pierwszy przede mną zamknięto. Jednak po chwili kazał mię wpuścić, lecz tylko na to, aby mi rękę uścisnąć i powiedzieć: „Kocham cię bardzo, ale nic nie mów, idź spać.”

 

Wystaw sobie, kto możesz, jaką noc przebyłem! Nazajutrz przypadł dzień św. Edwarda, patrona ukochanego brata mojego. Ofiarując za jego duszę mszę świętą, tak prosiłem Boga: O Boże, litości! Jeżeli dusza brata mego Edwarda miłą jest Tobie, daj mi dzisiaj duszę Fryderyka!

 

Więc ze zdwojoną troską szedłem do Chopina. Zastałem go u śniadania, do którego gdy mię prosił, ja rzekłem: „Przyjacielu mój kochany, dziś są imieniny mego brata Edwarda.” Chopin westchnął, a ja mówiłem tak dalej: „W dzień mego brata daj mi wiązanie.” „Dam ci, co zechesz”, odpowiedział Chopin, a ja odrzekłem: „Daj mi duszę twoją!” „Rozumiem cię, weź ją!”, odpowiedział Chopin i usiadł na łóżku.

 

Wtedy radość niewymowna, ale oraz i trwoga ogarnęły mię. Jakżeż wziąć tę miłą duszę, by ją oddać Bogu? Padłem na kolana, a w sercu moim zawołałem do Pana: „Bierz ją sam!” I podałem Chopinowi Pana Jezusa ukrzyżowanego, składając Go w milczeniu na jego dwie ręce. I z obu oczu trysnęły mu łzy.

 

„Czy wierzysz?”, zapytałem. Odpowiedział: „Wierzę.” „Jak cię matka nauczyła?” Odpowiedział: „Jak mię nauczyła matka!” I wpatrując się w Pana Jezusa ukrzyżowanego, w potoku łez swoich odbył spowiedź świętą. I tuż przyjął Wiatyk i Ostatnie Pomazanie, o które sam prosił. Po chwili kazał dać zakrystianowi dwadzieścia razy tyle, co zwykle się daje, a ja rzekłem: „To za wiele.” „Nie za wiele – odpowiedział – bo to, com przyjął, jest nad wszelką cenę.” I od tej chwili przemieniony łaską Bożą, owszem, samym Bogiem, stał się jakoby innym człowiekiem, rzekłbym, że już świętym.

 

Tegoż dnia poczęło się konanie Chopina, które trwało dni i nocy cztery. Cierpliwość, zdanie się na Boga, a często i rozradowanie towarzyszyły mu aż do ostatniego tchnienia. Wpośród najwyższych boleści wypowiedział szczęście swoje i dziękował Bogu, że aż wykrzykiwał miłość swą ku Niemiu i żądzę połączenia się z Nim co prędzej. I opowiadał swe szczęście przyjaciołom, co go żegnać przychodzili, a i w pobocznych izbach czuwali. Już tchu nie stawało, już się zdawał, że kona, już jęk nawet był umilkł, przytomność odbiegła. Strwożyli się wszyscy i tłumem się do pokoju jego byli nacisnęli czekając z biciem serca już ostatniej chwili. Wtem Chopin otworzywszy oczy i ten tłum ujrzawszy, zapytał: „Co oni tu robią? Czemu się nie modlą?” I padli wszyscy ze mną na kolana, i odmówiłem Litanię do Wszystkich ŚŚ., na którą i protestanci odpowiadali.

 

Dzień i noc prawie ciągle trzymał mię za obie ręce, nie chcąc mię opuścić, a mówiąc: „Ty mnie nie odstąpisz w tej stanowczej chwili.” I tulił się do mnie, jak zwykło dziecię czasu niebezpiecznego tulić się do matki. I co chwila wołał: „Jezus, Maria!”, i całował krzyż z zachwytem wiary i nadziei, i wielkiej miłości. Niekiedy przemawiał do obecnych, z największą tkliwością mówiąc: „Kocham Boga i ludzi!... Dobrze mi, że tak umieram... Siostro moja kochana, nie płacz. Nie płaczcie, przyjaciele moi. Jam szczęśliwy! Czuję, że umieram. Módlcie się za mną! Do widzenia w Niebie.”

 

To znowu do lekarzów usiłujących przytrzymać w nim życie powiadał: „Puśćcie mię, niech umrę. Już mi Bóg przebaczył, już mię woła do siebie! Puśćcie mię; chcę umrzeć!” I znowu: „O, pięknaż to umiejętność przedłużać cierpienia. Gdybyż jeszcze na co dobrego, na jaką ofiarę! Ale na umęczanie mnie i tych, co mnie kochają, piękna umiejętność!” I znowu: „Zadajecie mi na próżno cierpienia srogie. Możeście się pomylili. Ale Bóg się nie pomylił. On mię oczyszcza, O, jakże Bóg dobry, że mię na tym świecie karze! O, jakże Bóg dobry!”

 

W końcu on, co zawsze był wykwintnym w mowie, chcąc mi wyrazić całą wdzięczność swoją, a oraz i nieszczęście tych, co bez Sakramentów umierają, nie wahał się powiedzieć: „Bez ciebie, mój drogi, byłbym zdechł – jak świnia!”

 

W samym skonaniu jeszcze raz powtórzył Najsłodsze Imiona: Jezus, Maria, Józef, przycisnął krzyż do ust i do serca swego i ostatnim tchnieniem wymówił te słowa: „Jestem już u źródła szczęścia!...”

I skonał.

 

Tak umarł Chopin! Módlcie się za nim, ażeby żył wiecznie.

 

Uniżony wasz w Chrystusie sługa

Z. A. Jełowicki.