The cathedral is currently in the midst of an extensive restoration and cleaning effort. For those who have visited it, Saint Patrick's is a memorable block in the heart of an extremely congested area of Manhattan. With rare exception (including distracting TV monitors throughout the nave, a redundant table-altar in the sanctuary and a modernist Saint Elizabeth Ann Seton side altar) the cathedral has escaped the wreckovation craze following the Second Vatican Council. Perhaps more traditional Latin Masses will be celebrated there soon, keeping with Cardinal Dolan's writings on restoring Catholic disciplines.
While on the subject of Saint Patrick's, here are two photos from the archives that will likely be of interest to fans of the cathedral. The first is from 1912, when the Edison Light Company installed 40,000 lights after Archbishop John Farley was made a cardinal. Notice the lack of buildings around the cathedral. The second photo is a wedding from 1930. Notice the massive high altar. That was removed in 1942 for the current altar and baldacchino, which is now not even used (despite being freestanding!). These photos are taken from the cathedral's Facebook page, which also contains other interesting historical images.