Rorate Caeli

Passiontide
The fiat of Gethsemane

Nuestro Padre Jesús
del Prendimiento
Jerez de la Frontera,
Spain
“There is nothing greater in the universe than Jesus Christ; and in Jesus Christ there is nothing greater than His Sacrifice,” said Bossuet. Might we not perhaps add that there is nothing greater in the Sacrifice of Jesus than the moment He accepted it.

We have arrived at the conclusion of sublime resolution; the principal event; the culminating point in the history of the world; the victory which the just souls have already awaited for thousands of years; the triumph, the consequences of which are eternal: the fiat of Gethsemane!

Let us raise ourselves to such sublimity. And as if from higher ground, let us contemplate all the beauty of that acceptance: before putting on the purple of Calvary, the Sun of Infinite love has gathered together all His splendours.

See Him in the garden of Gethsemane: holy, innocent, immaculate, sublime. See Him embrace with one glance alone, the earth and all its sins, hell and all its pains, Heaven and all the rights of God.

Christian souls, contemplate Jesus the Pontiff of our religion. Contemplate Him the moment He offers His Sacrifice, in the Sancta Sanctorum of Gethsemane.

His Sacrifice is entire – absolute, perfect, irrevocable, without regret.

St Bernard has Our Blessed Lord asking Judas: “What do you want Judas? Do you want to sell me to the Jews? I want that too. Do you want to hand me over to them? I want that too. Do you want me to be crucified? I want that too. That I should die? I want that too. What you must do, do quickly.”

Our Lord is no more Master of Himself. He gave Himself for the salvation of man. The executioners torture His body and God disposes of His Soul as it pleases Him. An earthworm trampled underfoot, still makes some effort to escape…but Jesus, Who awaits the blow, does not want to diminish the strength of it, even by the least movement of His Head.

He is but the Victim of Heaven and earth; and what put Him in this state? His fiat of Gethsemane. And for how long? His Sacrifice is eternal.

[From De Vita Contemplativa, Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate, Italy. Translation: Contributor Francesca Romana.]

13 comments:

Benedict Carter said...

Thank you dear Lord Jesus for dying for me! May my life on this earth show You that I love you in return. Help me hold fast to the authentic Catholic Faith whatever may come! Amen.

Long-Skirts said...

PASSION'S
PALMS

In the deep, dark
Depths of morn
Passion Week
Where purple's worn

Where signs of Christ
Are sheathed in veils
Our senses dark
My soul cries...wails

Waiting, watching
Praying psalms
De Profundis
Will bloom the palms!

Jim said...

Thank you so much for posting this beautiful meditation. To think that Our Lord saw all of what was to come in the Garden of Gethsemane, including the betrayal of His Church which is accelerating at the present time, and died for us anyway.

Catholic Mission said...

I appreciate your quotations from this magazine.

I am fortunate to regularly pick up a copy of this little booklet-like magazine, in Rome.

Dan Hunter said...

Benedict Carter, my sentiments exactly.

Thank you for dying for love of me, Jesus!

LeonG said...

I could not agree more with Bossuet. Our Blessed Lord's Crucifixion is the key historical moment out of all when Almighty God gives us the opportunity to repent and be redeemed through His Beloved Son. Heaven's Portals are opened to humankind who would repent and be saved. If I was asked publicly which is the most important event in the history of the universe it would be this one.

Further, at Holy Latin Mass we are given the grace to be present at this momentous occasion through the unbloodied reenactment of His Sacrifice at Calvary. Such is this liturgical drama that Padre Pio encouraged us to be present at it in order to accompany The Blessed Virgin and St John. This is a stunning reality which surpasses all others.

It represents a sufferance that is both forensically shocking and spiritually humbling. That Our Beloved Lord could take on the weight of so much sin and pass through the gates of perdition in order to ransom us is a mystery worthy of much contemplation. Indeed, at any time of the year but especially now.

JB said...



Someone I can't remember who once said that Jesus's crucifixion represented a "major miscalculation" on the part of Satan. That Christ had outsmarted him in dying on the cross. I wish I could find the passage but it really hit me for some reason. No one, not even the fallen angels, apparently could conceive that God would humble himself to that extent. It is breath taking.

LeonG said...

JB

Your source is probably St Paul's First Letter to the Corinthians 2:8 where he comments that none of the rulers of the age [demonic powers] had any understanding, for had they, they would not have Crucified The Lord of Glory.
St Paul is really saying that Satan miscalculated his move.

Gladius said...

Think of the Passion every time your eyes gaze upon the elevated Chalice.

Thank you dear Jesus for suffering and dying on the Cross and shedding Your precious Blood to redeem mankind!

JB said...



Thanks Leon. That is close but it was some theologian, who was probably picking up on that line of thought. Apart from the unfathomable love God demonstrated in allowing his Son to be treated that way, that other way of considering it reminds us of God's supreme intelligence. No one outsmarts him.

NBW said...

Thank you for posting the wonderful meditation. God Bless!

Anonymous said...

American at Rome says,

Let us also not forget Benedict XVI, who has been sharing Our Lords Passion in a particular way this last year: he has been cruely and unjustly criticized for his resignation, by those who are ignorant of the fact that he is suffering from thyroid cancer, the effects of which are a constant and horrible crucifixion....I know this, not only from his doctor, but also from the Cardinals who were most intimate with him.

Judith said...

"No man taketh it away from me [my life]: but I lay it down of myself, and I have power to lay it down: and I have power to take it up again. This commandment have I received of my Father."

John 10:18

"And Jesus crying out with a loud voice, said: Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit. And saying this, he gave up the ghost."
Luke 23:46

The theology of this essay is quite obviously incorrect, and insulting to our Lord.